Monday 6 January 2014

Happy New Year! Split Pea Soup

May 2014 be your best year yet!
I've missed my blog.
We've been away....3 glorious weeks of holidays and now it's back to business, back to school, back to regular life, eating well and exercise and yoga!!! Hope your holidays were joyful, restful and spent surrounded by friends and family.

How cold is this winter???
It's so ICY and SUPER COLD OUTSIDE (seems like all the time)!
So Today......
A crowd-pleasing, soul-warming Split Pea Soup.

 
I started with these ingredients:
 
2 medium onions chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbl of olive oil
3/4 tbl of dried oregano
3 carrots, diced
1 small potato, diced
1 small sweet potato, diced
8 cups of chicken stock *
750g bag of dried mixed legumes or dried split peas **
( OPTIONAL: I also had a ham bone  that I had frozen from Christmas Eve dinner which I added to the soup) 
 
*  When I need chicken stock in a pinch, and don't have time to make it (yes, homemade chicken stock IS the very best, and truthfully, I don't make it very often!!) I use BETTER THAN BOUILLON....Fabulous!!!
 
 
 
 
** The dried mixed legumes I used was SURAJ brand.
Combined mixture of lentils, green split peas and yellow split peas.
 

 
 Method: In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until onions are softened. Add in the diced sweet and white potatoes, and oregano. After several minutes, add the mixed legumes and then pour in your stock. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes making sure to stir often to make sure soup is not sticking on the bottom. Again, if you have a smoked ham hock or ham bone, then add it in for additional smoky flavour.
The soup will simmer-up lovely and thick. ENJOY!!! and STAY WARM!
 
 
           
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: