Sunday 17 November 2013

A Sunday Family Birthday Celebration / The Very Very Best Chocolate Cake Ever!

My 44th birthday was 2 days ago. Celebrated with some buddies on Friday night and now on this rainy Santa Clause Parade Sunday, my parents are coming over later for a family dinner celebration.

I decided that for a change, I was not going to cook up a storm for Sunday dinner. I decided to make it EASY and  order in one of my favourite foods from one of my favourite places....Roti from the Danforth Roti Shop.
Roti is an Indo-Caribbean dish, wonderfully spiced chicken curry (or beef, lamb etc) lovingly enveloped in a soft tortilla-like wrap. It is so delicious and will be the topic of a future blog post!!!

I still wanted to make something, so I decided to make a  Chocolate Cake for dessert. I have an incredible recipe and I have made this cake a few times for friend's birthdays... it always gets rave reviews!! This cake really is The Very Very Best Chocolate Cake and here is the recipe:

 2 cups of self rising flour, 2cups of sugar, 1 cup cocoa, 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp of instant coffee powder, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2tsp of vanilla, 1 cup of boiling water.


 
 
This is so easy! Add your flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and coffee to your stand mixer or into a big bowl. Blend well with a whisk.
 
Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and blend until fully incorporated. See?? So Simple!!
 
|Then, carefully pour in 1 cup of boiling water and mix on high for 1 minute to add air bubbles to the batter.
 
 
Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins. @ 350 degrees.
 
Allow to cool and remove from pans.
When the cakes are completely cooled, frost them.
The frosting: 1 cup of  softened butter, 4 cups of icing sugar, 1/3 cup of milk, 1 tsp of vanilla, and 1/2 tsp of instant coffee. Blend well by hand or with a stand mixer.
 
Moist, Rich and So So Good! 

                                   
 Happy Sunday.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

27 Hambly said...

Love this cake. Looks so amazing. Yummy yum yum. Is there such a thing as too much chocolate? No. I think not!

Unknown said...

Beautiful blog Sarah! I look forward to each new post. What I love the most are your encouraging comments; I love to cook and bake but find it daunting at times. YOu tackle everything with such vigour and ease its contagious!!